It’s no mystery that people love to look good. Both men and women alike generally take great care in how they look. This is no surprise considering that the vast majority of people these days value how good someone looks. It’s been shown that the first thing 64% of people notice when they meet someone is how attractive they are. This is one of the primary drivers of why style holds so much importance in our lives. To help you look great, let’s have a look at the 42 most popular short hairstyles for women that are sure to give you that sparkle you’re looking for.
For men, finding a great hairstyle always seems a bit easier than it appears to be for women. Perhaps this is because they also pair strategic beard styles with the look as well. Also, men often don’t have as much hair to deal with or use as many products to accomplish the style. Many of their styles are ‘wake-and-shake’ type styles that require very little maintenance.
For women, most styles require a lot of attention and preparation to achieve. When looking around online at pictures of short haircuts, you’ll be surprised at how many options there are to choose from. Even so, choosing the style that works best can actually be a fun and exciting experience. One of the great things about women’s styles is how dynamic they can be. There are many ways to style the same cut with various clips, ties, products, and creative flat ironing and curling.
That said, let’s dive into the 42 most popular short hairstyles for women this year.
Table Of Contents
- 1 The Top 42 Short Hairstyles for Women 
- 1.1 The Pixie Cut
- 1.2 Asymmetrical Short Pixie Cut
- 1.3 Classy Short Style for Older Women
- 1.4 The Beautiful Bob Haircut
- 1.5 Layered Short Bob Haircut
- 1.6 The Messy Bob Hairstyle
- 1.7 Asymmetrical Long Bangs Hairstyle
- 1.8 Choppy Inverted Bob Haircut
- 1.9 Short Perm Hairstyle
- 1.10 Long Bangs Pixie Cut
- 1.11 Modern Short Bob Haircut
- 1.12 Inverted Bob Hairstyle
- 1.13 Graduated Bob Hairstyle
- 1.14 Shaved Side Haircut
- 1.15 Short and Wavy Hairstyle
- 1.16 Bob with Balayage Hairstyle
- 1.17 Side-Swept Bangs Hairstyle
- 1.18 Wavy Lob Haircut
- 1.19 Layered Bob with Fringe
- 1.20 Pixie Cut Short Bangs
- 1.21 Choppy Pixie Cut
- 1.22 Frizzy and Curly Hairstyle
- 1.23 Side Part Long Pixie Haircut
- 1.24 Modern Pixie Bob
- 1.25 Pixie Cut for Thick Hair
- 1.26 Pixie Cut for Thin Hair
- 1.27 Wavy Choppy Bob Hairstyle
- 1.28 Elegant Bob with Bangs Hairstyle
- 1.29 Spiky Pixie cut
- 1.30 Curly Bob with Fringes
- 1.31 Messy High-Curly Pixie
- 1.32 Braided Pixie
- 1.33 Fohawk
- 1.34 Undercut
- 1.35 Jagged Bangs Pixie Cut
- 1.36 Jagged Bangs Bob
- 1.37 Asymmetrical Bob
- 1.38 Side-Part Pixie Cut with Accessory
- 1.39 The Miley Cyrus Pixie Cut
- 1.40 Jennifer Lawrence Pixie Cut
- 1.41 Very Short Finger Waves
- 1.42 Short Dreadlocks
- 2 Hair Styling Tips
- 3 Essential Hair Styling Tools
- 4 Final Thoughts
The Top 42 Short Hairstyles for Women 
This is your definitive guide to the top short styles of the year.
1. The Pixie Cut
This is the single most popular short style around. Short pixie haircuts are a great way to get into womens short styles. With so many ways to style this cut, you’ll have a look that suits your preferences all day every day. With a few key products to keep this style in place, you can be sure that checking a mirror throughout the day is not required.
2. Asymmetrical Short Pixie Cut
If this is your first time with a short cut, this is perhaps a bit edgy. This is one of the pixie cuts of 2018 that made the top of the list. Going from a long-pixie cut to this style may be less of a shock. This style will require the hair stylist to use a set of clippers to get the hair short on the shortest sides. This is an exciting and edgy look that goes great with most fashion and is a favorite this year.
3. Classy Short Style for Older Women
Thinning hair and brittle textures are a challenge with short hairstyles for older women. Even so, this won’t stop you from looking great this year. A strategic short style can make a stylistic impact with even the thinnest and brittle hair types around. With a bit of blow drying and a bit of product, you can make this style pop with volume and a healthy sheen. This is one of those perfect haircuts for women over 60 if you want to look fresh and modern.
4. The Beautiful Bob Haircut
The bob is a classic style with diverse stylistic capabilities. You can make a bob look really great with just a bit of effort. It’s one of the lowest in maintenance of the women’s styles. It requires only small amounts of product, if any, and some strategic blow-drying to give it a bit of pomp. The variations in this style are manifold and will surely serve you for many years to come.
5. Layered Short Bob Haircut
One of the best ways to get a bob looking great is by getting a short layered bob style. This helps to bring out the natural definition and creates a more exciting texture. Adding some highlights and lowlights can make an even more dramatic statement if you like a bit more contrast in your color. This is also one of those great haircuts for older women if you’re looking for a modern look.
6. The Messy Bob Hairstyle
When an edgier look is your preferred go-to style, the messy bob is a great choice. It’s one of the easy hairstyles for short hair. It’s long enough that you can do a lot of different things with it for various occasions. You can spice things up with some color treatments, or leave it as is for a natural and fun style.
7. Asymmetrical Long Bangs Hairstyle
One of the best ways to add contrast to a style is creating varying lengths. One of the years favorites is the asymmetrical long bangs. This is a style that can be worn with a bob or pixie cut and can add an expressive and edgy look. You can get creative with a flat iron or curling iron as well to give this style even more pizazz.
8. Choppy Inverted Bob Haircut
This is a great mix between an asymmetrical cut and a bob. It keeps the hair flowing down and toward the front of the face like an asymmetrical cut, but is kept the same length on both sides (or at least close, much less than a true asymmetrical cut). With the choppy look—a look that is often razored in—you get that edgier and more exciting texture built into the cut. Add some strategic color or highlights, and you have a look that is sure to impress.
9. Short Perm Hairstyle
If you love a tight curly look, the short perm is the classic go-to. With so many variations in this style to choose from you can be sure to land on a style that frames your face perfectly. Caring for the new curls is easier than you might think. A bit of product can go a long way, especially if you choose to use a hair oil to keep everything well-moisturized. Perm chemicals can have an impact on hair health, so be sure to get the appropriate products to care for dry or damaged hair.
10. Long Bangs Pixie Cut
Long bangs have the ability to frame the face in a way that adds a bit of mystery and edginess to your style. Pairing long bangs with a pixie cut gives you a modern look that is sure to please. You can play around with the right length for your particular face shape and hair type. With just a bit of time spent on dialing in the style, you can have a stunning look that’s easy to change up when you need to. When it comes to short hair, color can also help create some contrast and excitement to the style. This is especially true with this style.
11. Modern Short Bob Haircut
If you really love the sleek look of a straight style, a modern short bob can really aim to please. This style will require a bit of work to get it looking sleek and shiny, but if this is your preferred look, it’s well worth the effort. If you have short straight hair this will work really well. If you have naturally curly hair, you may have trouble getting your hair to look so straight all day, but you can still enjoy a subtle variation in this style with a similar amount of morning styling.
12. Inverted Bob Hairstyle
Like the messy inverted bob, the traditional inverted bob has a look that draws the eye from the back of the head down toward the chin. Using a flat iron to achieve the straight look can greatly increase the wow factor of this style. It takes a bit of work, but if you love the straight bob with the inverted hairline, this style is sure to please.
13. Graduated Bob Hairstyle
The graduated bob is a style close in appearance to an inverted bob only with less length contrast from the front to the back. It is graduating slightly in length from the front to the back creating a nice line that draws the eye in. This is a relatively easy style to maintain with a bit simple wash, dry, and style routine when you want it to look its best. This was one of the short haircuts for women in 2018 that made the top of the list.
14. Shaved Side Haircut
Recommended for You Need The Best Electric Razor? Here we've done a great review for you..
This is probably the edgiest haircut for women around. It’s at least in the top 3 with the fohawk and undercut. This was also one of the most popular summer hairstyles of 2017. This is one of the shaved hairstyles for women that give you an easy entry to hyper-short hair. It adds an element of rebelliousness and non-traditionalism to any hairstyle. Shaving the sides of any style immediately creates a stark contrast in the length that adds intrigue and character. This style goes well with artists and the free-spirited ready to make a stylistic impact in the world. There are many ways to go about integrating the shaved sides. Talk to your stylist to see what style suits your face shape and hair type the best.
15. Short and Wavy Hairstyle
For a classy look that gives your face definition and brings attention to your eyes, look no further than this timeless style. You can achieve this look with your curling iron and a bit of patience in your morning styling ritual. If your hair has a hard time holding a curl all day, try using a bit of natural hairspray to get a better hold throughout the day. A great thing about this cut is that it can be styled in many other ways, not just wavy. Perhaps it’s the reason this is one of most popular short hair wedding styles around.
16. Bob with Balayage Hairstyle
17. Side-Swept Bangs Hairstyle
When you are looking to keep your style looking exciting while still framing your forehead and eyes well, side-swept bangs may be a great option for you. With this style, you have an opportunity to highlight the areas around your eyes. It creates a fun and youthful demeanor and can be worn with all kinds of fashionable clothing and accessories. Try using a flat iron to get it to stay in place if you have a cowlick or other stubborn growth challenges in the bangs area.
18. Wavy Lob Haircut
Sure, the wavy lob (long bob) is not a short style per se. It can be applied to the shorter pixie and bob styles though and so is mentioned here. This is a style that carries a timeless look that can be a great bridge between the short and medium length styles while you grow out your hair, or when preparing yourself to go for a shorter style. The wavy lob is one of the best styles for all face shapes and hair types and can be accomplished with a bit of practice with your curling iron.
19. Layered Bob with Fringe
Sporting some sexy, eye-catching bangs can be a great way to bring attention to your most prized facial features: your eyes, nose, and lips. Rather than having your hair all one length at the front, often tucked behind an ear or covering one whole side of your face, the fringe (bangs) gives you an advantage if you like to show off all aspects of your face. A layered bob already gives a wonderful texture and contrast in the cut, so adding the additional fringe plays to your features perfectly.
20. Pixie Cut Short Bangs
The pixie cut is already a fairly short style. If you love having the hair out of your face and like to show off your shoulders, neck, chin, eyes, and lips, not many styles do this better than a pixie cut with short bangs. This style leaves nothing to mystery, and will highlight all of your favorite features. With this unhindered look, you will be sure to make an impression. Adding a bit of balayage color can create an even more textured look if you have flat and thin hair and want to give the impression of contrast.
21. Choppy Pixie Cut
This is one of those trendy haircuts for short hair that lets you express yourself with flair. If you have a naturally edgy personality and want to have a hairstyle that reflects this, a choppy pixie cut can be a great style to do so. Adding the choppy requires a commitment to a styling session every morning as you will require a bit of product and preparation. Using a blow dryer, a bit of product, and your hands to rough up the texture will give you a brand new choppy look every day. The hair will never fall exactly the same and gives you some freedom with how you bring this style to life.
22. Frizzy and Curly Hairstyle
Forget the straight style. When you just want to let it all out, hold nothing back, and express all of your voluptuous volume, a frizzy and curly style will help you achieve this. You will be able to take advantage of your natural curls, once and for all. Using a hairdryer with a pick attachment can help you to stretch out your natural curls and give them a ‘tidy’ but purposeful look. If you have naturally straight hair and want to try this style, a perm will get you in the right direction. When it comes to African American short hairstyles this is one of the most fun.
23. Side Part Long Pixie Haircut
This is a great style for you if you want to frame your face and highlight your eyes. It helps to draw the attention away from the sides and back and toward your eyebrows, eyes, and cheeks. If these are your favorite face features, then you can make a great impression with a side-parted long pixie cut. Adding some highlights can give the style even more appeal through an impression of texture.
24. Modern Pixie Bob
The modern pixie bob is all about creating a textured look. You can use color to accomplish the effect as well as layered curls, creative flat ironing, and clips. It all depends on your personal preference as to how you treat your hair. If you don’t mind adding color and using a curler every day, this can be a great way to add a bit of modernity to your hairstyle. The great thing about this cut is that it can be tamed when you want it to be for occasions that call for a more relaxed style.
25. Pixie Cut for Thick Hair
If you have luxuriously thick hair, you know how challenging it can be to get your hair to do what you want it to. It’s almost like it has a mind of its own some days. One of the ways to tame this gorgeous growth is sporting a shorter cut that still uses your thickness to your advantage. The pixie cut can be a great style to accomplish this. With just a bit of morning attention, you can get massive volume and impressive texture that will be the envy of your peers. If you’re looking for one of the short haircuts for thick hair, this is a great choice.
26. Pixie Cut for Thin Hair
Looking for short hairstyles for thin hair? Thin hair can sometimes be a challenge if you want to have a voluminous look. This can be especially hard with longer hair that stays weighed down. A great way to achieve a voluminous look with thin hair is to shorten it up and get some air through it. Using your dryer and a round brush you can fluff up your hair and give the appearance of having a thicker top while still enjoying your naturally thin hair. In the end, this is one of the best short haircuts for thin hair, and is a great hairstyle for women over 50 with fine hair.
27. Wavy Choppy Bob Hairstyle
This is a style that will appeal to you if you really like the look of a free-spirited wavy look. It’s short enough that you still have the control you get from short styles, while still having enough room to get creative with it. With just a bit of effort, you can have a wavy look that goes well with pretty much any fashion, face shape, and hair type. The texture alone with this style can add interest to an otherwise flat looking cut. You can also use highlights to achieve this textured appearance. The colorized texture paired with the wavy styling gives this look an especially voluminous and interesting appearance.
28. Elegant Bob with Bangs Hairstyle
If you have wonderfully straight and thick hair, and love formal hairstyles, this is a style that will work very well. If not, get ready to get out the flat iron. This style frames the face in a very predictable way by using your naturally straight lines to your advantage. The bangs help to give your eyes and cheekbones a desirable platform to shine through while the long straight sides attract attention to your chin and lips. With a bit of patience during your styling routine, you’ll have this style mastered in no time.
29. Spiky Pixie cut
If you have a playful and edgy kind of personality and want your pixie hairstyles to reflect this, a spiky pixie cut is a great way to do so. With this style, you get to go a bit rogue and use your naturally rebellious instincts to create an edgy look that is sure to turn heads. A matte finish typically looks best for this style so get a good natural pomade and go to town creating contrast and texture. You can add more contrast by adding some highlights as well if you like to change up your color once in a while.
30. Curly Bob with Fringes
If you have a naturally curly hair type and really love the bob style, the curly bob with fringes will add some excitement to your look. This is one of the favorites if you love the short bob with bangs style but have curly hair to work with. With only a little bit of morning preparation (wash, dry, pick, and fluff) you will be well on your way to sporting a style that highlights your favorite facial features while honoring your natural locks. To achieve this look without a naturally curly hair type opt for either a perm or be prepared to spend some time with curlers, dryers, and hairspray. Either way, this is a look that will be sure to impress.
31. Messy High-Curly Pixie
When your hair type is naturally tight and curly, you’ll love this short and punchy style. Tight curls can be difficult to manage when in a longer style and a curly pixie cut is a great easy to get the most from your curls. If you want to be able to manage your tight curls and want to look great while doing so, a high-curl pixie can help you accomplish just that. This is a messy version of this style and gives an impression of texture and flair for a more exciting look. This is a style that is going to highlight all of your natural facial features, so be prepared to turn some heads.
32. Braided Pixie
Braids are always in. It just depends on how they are being worn. The age-old ponytail braid has its moments, but when you pair a braid with a pixie cut, you can create an interesting contrast that’s fresh and fun. The great thing about this style is that you can get away with very little styling. The braid(s) tends to hold the hair in place while the rest can be allowed to do what it wants. If you do decide to get more creative with some product, opt for a matte pomade and give the look a messy yet classy finish. This is also one of those cute haircuts for younger girls to have a bit of fun with.
This is likely the edgiest of all styles. It was one of the most popular female hairstyles in 2017. When it comes to looking innocent and cute, women typically go for a different style than the fohawk. After all, this is a style that helps you express your inner badass. There are ways to achieve this style with braids as well, so if you just want to try it out without committing to the cut, you can do so. Either way, when you go for the fohawk, you are making a statement. If you opt for the cut version you will need to get out some product, your dryer, and maybe even flat iron to get this look to really pop. If you opt for braids, take a video tutorial on YouTube or get your stylist to show you how to do it.
The undercut is a fairly new trend in women’s styles. The great thing about an undercut is that it has so many variations to choose from. You can have any length and achieve this look. If you opt for the shorter styles, you can have lots of fun experimenting with what works best for you. You can even add some shaving details and designs to give an extra edginess to the look. Play around with what works best for you, and you’ll have a fun and exciting head-turning hairstyle sure to be the envy of our peers. Time to get that undercut, girl.
35. Jagged Bangs Pixie Cut
For a look that provides a lot of contrast and texture, you can opt for a jagged bangs pixie cut. This look is achieved through a cutting technique that helps to separate the hair and give it a textured appearance. This can also be achieved with some pomade and patience during your morning styling routine. Either way, you’ll have a look that basically shouts ‘look at my eyes.’ The jagged bangs act like little arrows pointing to your eyes, cheeks, and eyebrows.
36. Jagged Bangs Bob
To create a bit more texture to the front of your bob style try adding some jagged bangs. This can be accomplished by getting your stylist to create this look with scissors, or you can use some product and combing to get a similar result. Either way, you get to have a bit more contrast and texture for your bangs that helps highlight your eyes, cheekbones, and nose. If these are your favorite face features, you’re in good hands with this style.
37. Asymmetrical Bob
Much like the asymmetrical pixie cut, the asymmetrical bob gives you an exciting new way to frame your face. With a different length on each side, you have to make sure to choose your favorite side before committing to this cut. After choosing which side of your face you want to highlight, go for the cut. To add additional flair to this style, you can opt for special color highlights for the bangs or tips. You can also choose to style this cut with curls, waves, or keep it straight.
38. Side-Part Pixie Cut with Accessory
The great thing about accessories is that they can be used in so many creative ways. This is especially true when it comes to special occasions. With the right accessory, you can bring a new approach to your usual style. This is great for going to a wedding or concert, or perhaps a first date. Wherever you choose to sport this style you will surely stand out among the crowd.
39. The Miley Cyrus Pixie Cut
If you are looking to model a celebrity look and really like the sporty and edgy look, the Miley Cyrus pixie cut is a great example. This is one of the short pixie cuts on the shortest end of the spectrum, and can be used with a few variations. Opting for an undercut variation can create an extra layer of expression, as can using a trimmer to add designs, etc.
40. Jennifer Lawrence Pixie Cut
For a celebrity example of a pixie cut that allows for a bit more length, look no further than Jennifer Lawrence. This style will give you plenty of room to express yourself through texture and contrasting color without having to sacrifice too much length in the process. Although still a relatively short style, you do not have to break out the trimmer or sport an undercut.
41. Very Short Finger Waves
This is one of the most tedious of styles to accomplish, but worth the effort if you love it. It’s tedious insofar as the time and effort it takes to get this style to look right. With some patience, a few video tutorials, and perhaps even a consult from your stylist, you’ll be sporting this look like a pro in no time. This is one of the classiest of the short hairstyles of 2019.
42. Short Dreadlocks
Another iconic look, the short dreadlock style can be an exciting way to wear your hair. There are so many ways to style this look, especially when paired with braids. However you choose to sport this style, you will be in for a bit of maintenance. Research a bit about how to care for your dreads and you’ll be looking great and turning heads for a long time. This is also a great style for young black girls with short hair as it is easier to maintain while going to school and playing with other kids.
Hair Styling Tips
Great hair is never by accident. There is always some time spent on making sure everything looks the way it should depending on the style. Very rarely is it possible to wake up, get out of bed, and have a great looking hairstyle without touching it. Some might say that it’s impossible. So, with just a few tips and tricks, you can have a great looking simple hairstyle with minimal effort.
- Keep your brushes clean – After cleaning all the stray hair from the brush, soak it in water and a bit of shampoo. Give it a good scrub with a nail brush and rinse clean. Do this as often as required; once a month is ideal.
- Curl from the middle, not the ends – For curls that last longer through the day, curl from the middle of the strand rather than from the ends.
- Get creative with your flat iron – A flat iron does more than just straighten hair. With a little creativity, you can tame cowlicks, turn braids into curls instantly, and even add some flair to the ends of short styles to give them some texture.
- Get creative with hairspray – Stray hairs? Spray a toothbrush with some hairspray and tame as needed. Going for an updo? Spray your hands with hairspray first and run through hair before styling.
- Frizzy hair? Pat dry rather than rubbing. You can try wearing a beanie hat to bed with wet hair as well.
- Natural tight curls? Try grouping into hair into ‘pineapple’ ponytails before going to bed to preserve curls overnight.
Essential Hair Styling Tools
Your style will likely require a few tools to get the most from it. In the very least you’ll be using a small group of brushes, clips, or bands. Here is a small list of key hair styling tools that you will do well to include in your styling kit.
- Professional Blow Dryer – There are many options to choose from when buying a high-end blow dryer. Just make sure that it is able to adjust air speed and heat settings.
- Thick, voluminous hair – Opt for a titanium dryer. Make sure it’s 1800-2000+ watts. Use on high heat setting. If your hair is damaged, use medium heat setting.
- Thick, frizzy hair – Opt for an ionic tourmaline dryer. This will help make sure that the hair does not frizz too much and will dry the hair very fast.
- Fine, thin, dry hair – Opt for a ceramic or porcelain dryer. It may have infrared functions as well to help dry hair from inside out. Avoid ionic dryers as they don’t provide the volume others can.
- Normal hair – You can use any dryer you like. Make sure it has at least 1600 watts and has multiple speed and heat settings. If your hair is straight, use the concentrator nozzle attachment with your brush to get super straight results.
- Curly hair – Opt for a dryer that has a diffuser and pick attachments. These help stretch out the curls and get the most from your locks.
- Brushes – Brushes are the main tool used for all hairstyles, regardless of scope. There is always something going on that requires a brush. There are a few different kinds that are used for different kinds of tasks. Make sure to get one that is best suited to your stylistic needs.
- Flat Iron (Hair Straightener) – When shopping around for a hair straightener there are a few things to look for:
- Plate width – Plate widths usually range between 1 – 3 inches in width. Short styles typically do well with a 1” plate as they offer more control.
- Temp settings – Some flat irons come with temperature control settings. Make sure to opt for a model with this feature. It can save your hair from disaster if the iron gets too hot midway through.
- Shape – Flat irons can do more than just straighten hair. They can also add curls and other wavy details. Opt for an iron that has rounded edges to prevent kinks and possible breakage due to the sharp edges of some models.
- Materials – Much like blow dryers, flat irons come in different materials. Most come in ceramic, but there are also tourmaline and titanium models as well. Additionally, you can get ionic and nano models as well. One of the most powerful and popular models are the nano titanium flat irons as they can handle stubborn hair in less time.
- Professional Blow Dryer – There are many options to choose from when buying a high-end blow dryer. Just make sure that it is able to adjust air speed and heat settings.
- Curling Iron – If you are going to include a curling iron in your styling kit, keep in mind these key aspects when buying:
- Size – the barrel size of the curling iron will range from ⅜ – 2” in diameter. These are meant for various styles and hair lengths.
- Shape – There are a few different shapes that can be chosen from to create various stylistic effects. A straight barrel is the most common choice as it performs the standard look most women are going for.
- Materials – Just like a flat iron, there are various materials to choose from when buying a curling iron. Your options are typically ceramic, tourmaline, chrome, titanium, and metal w/ steam. Choose based on your needs as they are all slightly different in how they heat, style, and hold.
- Temperature control – Opt for a model that has a variable temperature control setting.
- Accessories – Various hair accessories can help your style really pop. These include, but are not limited to, ponytail elastics, headbands, hair clips, hair pins, hair sticks, and formal occasion pieces like tiaras, decorated combs, and bun wraps.
- Hair Product – Just like hair accessories, there is a plentitude of products that can bring a style to life. These include, but are not limited to, hairspray, dry shampoo, heat protection spray, hair oil, leave-in conditioner, clarifying shampoo, and texturizing spray.
With these essentials, you should be well on the way to achieving the style you’ve had your eye on this year. Take your time and play around with new and exciting ways to use these products and you’ll have enviable hair for years to come!
So there you have it! These 42 short hairstyles for women are ready and willing to help you make a stylistic impact this year. Play around with the various textures, lengths, and styling techniques to create new and fun ways to express yourself every day. Here’s to a gorgeous year of great hair!